Thursday 19 November 2009

DIY travel photography

Ever wanted to know the trade secrets of that astonishing ethereal landscape or startling wildlife shot in guide books? Well I found out the other night from Lonely Planet travel photojournalist Juliet Coombe at a talk she gave at Intrepid Travel in Islington (who incidentally seemed like a lovely bunch and no, I'm not on commission).*



Of course having the right lenses helps but it's amazing how Juliet has learnt to improvise out on the road saving potentially thousands by not buying fancy equipment. She has photographed an entire country in thirteen days for Lonely Planet from beaches to mountains via caves and jungles so she knows how to think on her feet. I couldn't believe the mundane items from around the house (mainly the kitchen) that Juliet inventively used to take the shots she was showing us.



So if, like me, you have a basic digital SLR camera and don't have heaps of dosh to spare, here are some of the lovely Juliet's top tips (I do hope I'm not ruining her income from talks by revealing her secrets).

Bin bags  - these are absolutely essential apparently. Not only can one be used to waterproof the camera (wrap it round and poke a hole through for the lens), it can also camouflage the camera for wildlife shots or it can be stretched over the lens so that you can cut out a rough shape of the object you're shooting while the bin bag filters the rest of the scene out. Take a roll of them.

Foil - take lots of it. Fills in shadows on faces.

Cling film - stretch it over the lens and smear on brylcreem or soap, or stick lace on it to create patterns. Use coloured cling film as cheap filters.

Tights - can be used as filters.

Clothes pegs - use them to attach silk scarves or card (again with the object's shape cut out) to the camera.

Toilet roll holder - pop over the end of the lens to create a longer lens.

Matches - apparently top travel photographers never use flash because it's too bright. The old-fashioned match gives a softer light.

Tissues - tip different quantities of tea or coffee on them, dry and you have filters of various sepia tones.

Rope - for lowering your camera to the ground from a landrover when you're on safari. Perfect for undergrowth shots. Or strapping to the roof of the vehicle.

Small step ladder - for those who are vertically challenged like me this could be the difference between a shot of the back of heads or an engaging picture.

Juliet recommends experimenting with all these devices before you travel, choosing one subject on your doorstep, so you can see which effects you like.

Successful photojournalists are able to create profound pictures by thinking about their message before they take the picture, emphasised Juliet. Apparently practical people can take pretty pictures but they won't necessarily have the longevity of those who've thought it through. And finally...remember: a good photographer will be prepared to do anything to get the picture (within the law presumably).

* All pictures are by Juliet Coombe.

3 comments:

  1. Wow some really good tips here. I've never heard any of them before. I especially like the one about the match!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually was experimenting today with Saran Wrap stretched over my lens and held with a rubber band. I used a purplish color wrap because I was trying to see if I could achieve a 'Holga' effect. It actually produced a few interesting images! So I thought I'd google more 'down home' photography tricks and see what I've been missing out on...brought me here! I LOVE some of these tips--can't wait to try them! Really great ideas...thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much Heather. Wish I could claim credit for devising them but it's all down to travel photography guru Juliet Coombes. And I haven't got round to testing them myself yet either. Let me know if there are any that worked particularly well.

    ReplyDelete