Thursday 3 December 2009

Ice ice baby

Did you know the very first artificial ice rink was created here near the King's Road, Chelsea in 1876? It was called the Glaciarium. But it is the Finnish and the Dutch who are credited with inventing the sport. Although the oldest known skates in existence were found at the bottom of a lake in Switzerland (dated around 3000 years ago) it is thought people in Southern Finland used to skate across lakes about 4000 years ago. For hundreds of years skates were made from leg bones of animals bound by leather straps until the Dutch invented the metal blade around the 15th Century.

So "dank je" to the Dutch otherwise we could all still be gliding round the rinks of London, in what is now becoming an annual Christmas ritual, wearing animal bones. When I say glide, in my case it's more of jerky slide-stutter movement but I do try. Thus I could be found last night at the Tower of London's rink which is a truly spectacular backdrop and, from what I've experienced in previous years at Somerset House and the Natural History Museum, less busy than other historical venues. All the better for learners like me who have to keep hold of the barrier - granny-style - at least four times round, before letting go.



I had to laugh when I read about the inventive vicar in Chichester who set up an ice rink in his church to get people in. He had 4500 visitors in four days. Seems everyone loves to skate. It reminded me of my surprise last year when I spotted a small ice rink in the local Asda carpark. People had abandoned shopping bags at the side for a glide.

As far as I'm concerned there's no better excuse for a mulled wine than exhausting yourself on the ice. And if you're not very good then take consolation in this hilarious performance from last year's Dancing on Ice.


Todd Carty. Dancing on Ice.

Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment