Wednesday 28 October 2009

Love fashion hate shopping?

Love fashion but hate shopping? I know I do. Especially in London when throngs of sweaty, clumsy bodies wrestle with their latest hauls while talking loudly on mobiles and shouting at their kids. Why can't there be space and light in changing rooms (without fluff balls on the floor) to see what I'm trying on? Why does my friend never bag the cubicle next to me but always four away when I don't want to walk the length of the fitting rooms to get her opinion? And why does everyone look the same give or take an accessory here or a customised T-shirt there? Why isn't the queue moving?…Yes, I detest shopping in London.

Help is at hand in the form of SchuBubble where you can make an appointment to try on gorgeous vintage clothes (which are tailored to you if they don't quite fit) in your own private boudoir. Founder Tanaz Banda has converted her lovely spare room into a treasure trove bulging with unique bags, hats, belts and clothes sourced by her and, where necessary, repaired by dressmaker Bitti Santos. I went along to SchuBubbles' West London HQ for afternoon tea.



"Whether you go into Primark or Prada you're essentially buying what everyone else is wearing," says Tanaz. "I want SchuBubble to be a place where you can relax and find something original you love. Or we'll make it for you. But we're not a pretentious boutique". From a red (very soft) leather skirt to a vintage black strapless Norman Hartnell cocktail number or a flowery fifties style dress, all tastes are catered for.

 

SchuBubble also has its own simple classic designs - versatile staples which are both comfortable and glamorous (music to my ears). Tanaz sources a limited amount of  material for SchuBubble's own lines from India so once a particular fabric has run out, that's it.

I like the ethos behind SchuBubble because it's a network of creative women set up by Tanaz to foster a sense of community and support. Times are tough ladies and we need to pull together. So you'll also spot complementary and quirky jewellery by An Alleweireldt, a highly sought-after Royal College Of Art graduate (2003) who was commissioned to create a special collection by Tate Modern recently and sells some of her work through its shop.

An often uses recycled materials to create very different beautiful objects, like lollipop sticks to make this striking brooch:



Or old vinyl records - gasp, yes I know, sacrilege. But I now have these two vinyl bracelets:



which I absolutely adore, plus they're a real talking point. All of An's work including some unique pieces can be bought online at OXx jewellery. But I found it's much more fun to mix and match her pieces while trying on new outfits.

And you'll be made a fuss of by the SchuBubble girls which is very nice. I ambled away with a devine black velvet hoodie with a furry collar and adorned with tiny coloured stars.

My favourite philosopher (after red wine) the ancient Greek thinker Epicurus believed that we often substitute our true desires (friends, freedom and a thoughtful life) with manic material desires. So I feel fully justified in having spent a couple of hours in lovely company buying something unusual I'll love and look after, than a whole day buying cheap tat that won't last. Epicurus…you would be proud.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, please please start doing this in Toronto or NYC! I loathe shopping, but I really miss the nice designer threads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let the founder of SchuBubble know there's a gap in the market over there then! If it's jewellery you're interested in, you can buy OXx jewellery online. There's a link under Sites I Like. Happy fashion (not shopping!)

    ReplyDelete